05 October 2011

My Brain is So Magical!

Or Take 3?  I do plan to post here regularly...

Yesterday, Quinn hit a milestone worth recording.  She was writing words on paper, occasionally asking me how to spell specific words.  That part wasn't particularly new, but then she got really excited.  Utterly thrilled in fact.  She jumped up and shouted,

"My brain is so magical!  I never felt like this before!  I know how to read and write!"

I asked her what felt different, and she described being able to see the letters and words in her mind.  In the past, she has copied words, but that wasn't the case this time.  And she kept reading all of the words on her little page rather than stating things a bit differently each time, as she has when reading her writing in the past.

Quinn isn't ready to pick up a book and start reading.  Like a baby taking a first step before actually walking, she is definitely learning to read.  If she were in school, this bit of learning would have looked and felt much different no doubt.  Someone might have taken credit for teaching her, and she might not have experienced the awesome thrill of figuring it out on her own.  And I would have missed witnessing it.

Here's what she wrote...


These are song lyrics that she made up to go with music to a video game called World of Goo (a physics-based puzzle game that we've all been enjoying).  She was practicing her singing, because she wants to be a Japanese singer one day.  "I'm just going to have a job for a little while.  When I have my kid, I will get rid of my job."  She said she wants to be like me when she grows up.

WORLD
OF
GOO
E
GOO
POO
POO
OF
GOO
E
(the dots represent ear wax)
GOO
OF
POO
WORLD
OF
GOO
E
(ear wax)

Poo and ear wax are not actually part of the game, but Quinn does enjoy talking about poo.  And she says that the black goo balls' squeaks in the game are them talking about ear wax.

Today, we started making a plushie cross between a black goo ball and Kirby (another video game character).  I'll post a pic of that one when it's finished!

Besides the singing practice yesterday, we also played Kirby's Epic Yarn.  Quinn wrapped the controller straps around the homemade plushies of the respective characters we played, Kirby and Prince Fluff.  They worked fine that way to my surprise.


She's wearing her Princess Peach (another video game character, from Mario games) sleep outfit in that pic.

We Skyped with my parents, Quinn's Nana and Paw Paw.

We also made a chocolate cake with marshmallow frosting in honor of our dinner guest, Ed, who enjoys desserts.

The cake looked a lot better than it tasted.   None of us really liked it.  I usually like almond flour recipes, but I learned that I really do not like agave syrup.  I won't make that recipe again.  Matthew put the rest of the cake in his break room at work today.  He called me at 11:00 a.m. to report that it was all gone.  He asked someone taking a second piece how it was, and the guy said it was great.  I'm glad someone enjoyed it!  Now it's time to find a new home for my big jug of agave syrup...

No comments:

Post a Comment