02 January 2009

Impromptu mermaid

Quinn has enjoyed dressing up since before Halloween. By that, I mean that every outfit she has worn in and out of the house since that time has been a character of sorts. She has several princess costumes and several regular dresses that she associates with princesses. She watches the movies and listens to a Disney soundtrack of theme songs from the various movies, and she changes her outfits for each scene or song. Or just because she feels like it. Dozens of costume changes each day. This is a girl who once wore the same dress for a full month.


She usually requires some assistance from me to change, and I found myself getting annoyed at first with the sheer quantity of changes. Each change only takes seconds though. I have no reason to get in the way of her passion and joy. In fact, we join in the fun and assume our assigned (by Quinn) characters. So when Quinn is Ariel, I am Athena and Matthew is King Triton.


We haven’t dressed the parts thus far, but Quinn has requested that I purchase a blue dress to be Cinderella’s mother (who apparently died in Cinderella’s early childhood, but no matter). She often requests that I wear skirts, which I usually wear in warmer weather but not so much in winter. “Girls don’t wear pants,” she says.


This afternoon, Quinn created a new mermaid costume out of one of my socks, a pair of swim goggles, and a pair of princess training pants.



Later she put on a store-bought mermaid costume. She asked me to help with a Cinderella costume, so I started to pull up her Ariel one. She stopped me and said, “No, I want to mix it up!” Here was her result, complete with one of each glass slipper…




Ah, the amazing creativity of a child untainted by ‘shoulds’ and ‘should nots’!

No comments:

Post a Comment